Friday, March 25, 2011

DAW: It still is, right?

Maybe it isn't but who gives a shit.

I just thought I'd take this opportunity, as so many other have, to show my apreciation (is that spelled right I wonder qithout caring too much) for a few developers that have changed my life.

First I thought I'd give a shout out to foley artists everywhere. But then I thought "nah, they're still getting paid." So I'll leave that for another day. I'll thank our dearly departed ones, instead. I don't mean they're dead, precisely (although I wouldn't know either way) just that, even if they still develop, they don't in the same way as I met them. So to speak.

Westwood

From the bowels of Westwood came the Command & Conquer series and other precious gems like the PC game adaptation of Blade Runner. I loved that game. Eventually they became part of EA, much like almost everything else in the world. One day I'll get home and find out they bought us out too.

Bullfrog

My admiration for Bullfrog is known. They were the creative minds behind Theme Hospital, Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper. One of its founders went on to create a little-known software house that goes by the name of Lionhead Studios. But my love for the frog that dared to bull lingers on and I miss its spirit dearly.

Maxis



Surprisingly enough, Maxis was bought by EA a few years back. They were the makers of SimCity and The Sims. Simulating things was their... thing, to be sure. And they were very good at it. And I miss them. They're the only reason why I tolerate Electronic Arts. You are what you eat, right? So EA can't be that bad with Maxis in the belly.


Now excuse me while I go get drunk at game night.

No comments:

Post a Comment